Saturday, June 6, 2009

I have arrived!




The first picture is one of me with most of the new teachers. We went on a river taxi, about an hour ride for essentially 30 cents, things are so cheap! So I took a picture of a suspension bridge, my roommate Brenna and I on the Taxi, (more roommates to come I think), and then some houses along the river. Sorry about the layout, I tried to go back and change it, but it won't let me, the next one should look better!

Now for the real post:

Hello Everyone! I have safely arrived in Thailand! The flight was long, and I didn't sleep more then 3 hours, so by the time we got to the school I was exhausted. But then our luggage didn't get here until like 3 AM which would be 4 in the afternoon at home, so by the time I got settled in, I still didn't really feel like sleeping cause for me, it felt like afternoon not night. But I am getting into the rhythm here with sleep which is a very good thing.
So far my days have been very busy. On Thursday 5 of us teachers, 4 new girls and 1 who is returning for her 4th year, went to an orphanage with more then 300 Thai babies and toddlers. You can sign up to be in a program where they assign you a baby and you go as often as you want to hold and play with or feed your baby during visiting hours. I think the five of us are going to do this all together. It is actually a really nice government run orphanage but with so many the babies rarely get held, so its a great program! After the orphanage we went across the street and got Thai massages! I know its a bizarre thing to do on your first day here, but it cost about 4 dollars for an hour and a half massage from blind Thai men. They do it all in one big open room and it is a program to help the blind men learn a skill and be able to support themselves.
So far the food has been very good for the most part. Their have been a few things I didn't like but I have had many good rice and chicken dishes. Today I even got a snow cone that tasted so much like the ones we used to get in Kidron.
Oh, one more thing. It is way hotter then I expected. As soon as you get out of the shower you are sweating again. I have been blessed with a great air conditioner in my room, everyone is jealous of how well it works. Another surprise for me has been how you take your shoes off to go in everywhere. There are just stacks of shoes outside restaurants and even outside all over the rooms to the school. It's kind of nice being barefoot, but then I worry about like foot diseases, so I am trying to wash them often!!
I am off now to unpack and organize my room, a job I have put off for too long so I must do it! Thank you for all your prayers as I traveled! God is so good!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shawna: Good post....was wondering how you were doing and praying that you would find other good gals to be with. Being tired can do silly things to you so getting your rest and then evaluating things was the smart way to go. Just wanted to let you know you are in my daily morning prayers. Has school started? I understand that you can't always answer questions and that's okay. And you are right God is so Good and so Faithful. Lean on HIM!! Myrene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Myrene!I so appreciate your prayers!School doesn't start until next week, but this week is orientation and long term planning, so I am keeping busy! I hope all is well in Ohio, man I miss the cool summers already! (I feel like I never stop sweating here!)

    ReplyDelete