Sunday, July 26, 2009

Swine Flu and Some BBQ!


So this has been an interesting week. We found out last week on Thursday that the school was going to be closed for 3 days due to 3 confirmed cases of Swine flu. However, there was already overnight camp planned for the weekend, so we still did this on Friday evening and Saturday morning and afternoon. It was a ton of fun playing games with them. I taught them 23 skidooo, (making sure they counted in English, which is not as fast for them as Thai, but good practice). We also had a campfire in the parking lot, not to the sounds of cricket, but of buses and taxis flying bye, but it felt like summer none the less. Then we had a water fight to end the whole camp and that was a lot of fun. Sorry I have no pictures of this, I didn't have any place to keep the camera safe!
After that work-filled weekend, they gave us Monday off and then Tuesday was back to work cleaning every part of each classroom. Each toy, chair, napping cot, and puzzle was cleaned with disinfectant. Then we had some meetings and extra planning time on Wednesday.
Thursday and Friday were back to school with lessons on germs and when we need to wash our hands, how long to wash, hot to cough and sneeze in your arm, and how not to pick your nose. They love to practice all of these things, but actually using the new rules may be another thing! Until they get it, I run them to the bathroom to wash their hands all the time. Which they think is funny, but I think eventually they will remember. There's a picture of them with their germ contracts committing to wash their hands!

Last week I had been really frustrated and unsure of how to get one of my students to learn any type of conversation. I do a lot of Good Morning's and How are you, and What's your name. And they all pretty much have learned how to respond. However, Beam just wasn't getting it. He repeats everything I say so I would say, what's your name? He would say, what's your name?...we did this a million times the week before, and then this past Thursday I asked him again, and I got the sweetest response that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "My name is Beam!" I was so excited I gave him a high five and a hug! It was so encouraging that I am moving one to a new one with him this week!
Friday night a couple of us went to a delicious Barbecue place where you pick your raw meats that are in different marinades, and then you pick vegetables, and fruit and then you have little grill on your table to make it yourself. You can pick all different sauces to make your own marinade, and then the vegetables boil in water on the rim of the grill. My favorite was a garlic and pineapple chicken combination I made.

I also included a picture of a ton of us girls crammed into the back of the taxi. Whenever possible, we put in as many as we can, generally around 6 or 7, not including the driver. Would you rather divide a taxi fair of say 100 baht by 3, or by 7?! (This is about 3 dollars). Quite the cheap way to travel!

The last pictures are of my baby and I at the orphanage. His name is Krit, pronounced like "git" or "grit". He is just over 3 months old, and so smiley and adorable. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture a smile with the camera. A groups of us teachers go each week and we just play, cuddle, feed, walk around with, and talk to our babies for the 2 hours we are allowed to visit. The ultimate goal is for each baby to be adopted, but this usually doesn't happen until they are almost one, so we love them and give them one-on-one attention until that can hopefully happen. While we were there this past Saturday there was a couple from Finland that came back to visit with there two Thai children they adopted 12 years ago from that orphanage! It was amazing to see such a successful adoption situation.

Oh, and I put up a picture of Jill and I in our swim gear. We swim at the pool in the mall. The membership fee was 300 baht, under 10 dollars for the year, and that's for both of us!


So here's some exciting news to close the post. My entire immediate family is coming to see me for two weeks on my October break!! Yes, Nic, Sonya, Leah, Dad, and Mom are all coming! I couldn't be more excited/shocked that it is really happening! Now I get to plan all the fun stuff we are going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment